This four-story commercial building is located on one of the country’s most distinguished retail streets, Boston’s Newbury Street. In this historic context (originally built between 1860 and 1900), there are widely varied architectural expressions within a very consistent pattern of rows of four- and five-story bay-fronted masonry townhouses. At the street intersections of the long blocks, non-residential buildings such as schools, churches, institutes, clubs, and at least one original museum punctuated the original townhouses. Throughout a century of redevelopment, use has changed but the pattern remains strong.
The design challenge for this corner site was to create a dynamic, high profile retail facility with a façade that related well to the historic fabric of the neighborhood. Glass display bays echo the nearby residential fabric, the strong corner entrance drum recalls the strength of other corner buildings, and the clear differentiation of horizontal layers is in keeping with the established pattern of retail uses on the street. Nike Corporation is the primary retail tenant of the building, and Sawyer Enterprises, owner and developer of the building occupy fourth-floor office space.